Leviticus 25 Star Chart: Israel wandered for 2 years in the desert (1446-1444 B.C.) and then spent 38 years more in Kadesh Barnea (Deut. 2:14) as punishment after the spies brought back an evil report. Caleb was 40 years old in the second year in the desert (Josh. 14:7), and 85 years old in Joshua 14:10-15 when "the land had rest from war." Therefore, Joshua conquered Canaan in 7 years, from 1406-1405 to 1400-1399 B.C., before Israel could fully enter the land of Canaan.
Then clockwise from "When ye (fully) come into the land which I give you, then shall the land keep a sabbath unto the Lord" (25:2) (1396-1395 B.C., fall to fall, is year 49 -- "a sabbath"). Then starting in 1395 -1394, fall to fall, as year number one, "Six years (6 x 360°) thou (Ophiuchus) shalt (solar seed) sow thy field, and six years (6 x 360°) thou shalt (Perseus) prune thy (red radius) vineyard, and (Castor) gather in the (lunar) fruit thereof; But in the seventh year (360°)(1389-1388 B.C.) shall be a sabbath of rest unto the land, a sabbath for the Lord: thou shalt neither (Ophiuchus) sow thy field, nor (Perseus) prune thy (red radius) vineyard. That which groweth of its own accord of thy harvest thou shalt not (Perseus) reap, neither (Castor) gather the (lunar and solar) grapes of thy (red radius) vine undressed: for it is a year of rest unto the land. And the sabbath of the land shall be meat for you; for thee (Hercules), and for thy (Perseus) servant, and for thy (Castor) maid, and for thy (Pollux) hired servant, and for thy (Ophiuchus) stranger that sojourneth with thee. And for thy (Taurus) cattle, and for the (Aries, Cetus, Big Dog, Canis Minor, Drago) beast that are in thy land, shall all the increase thereof be meat" (25:2-7) till "thou shalt number seven sabbaths of years unto thee (from year one), seven times seven years; and the space of the seven sabbaths of years shall be unto thee forty and nine years. Then shalt thou cause the (red radius tube with solar bell end) trumpet of the jubilee to sound on the tenth day of the seventh month, in the day of atonement shall ye make the (red radius tube with solar bell end) trumpet sound throughout all your land" (25:8-9) is 49 x 360° = 49 years. This is Yom Kippur 1346 to Yom Kippur 1345 B.C., the first Jubilee after 49 years of farming and resting the land, using William Whiston's footnotes to Josephus (Dissertation V, p. 706). Notice that the fiftieth year is also the first year in any 49-year cycle. This first Jubilee is in syncronization with Christ's Jubilee of 27-28 A.D. found in Luke 4:19, where he proclaimed the "acceptable year of the Lord."
Don't (Ophiuchus) Sow or (Perseus) Reap
(Castor) Gather on The Fiftieth Year Jubilee
25:1 And the (Shekinah) Lord (red radius) spake unto (Ophiuchus) Moses in (red radius) mount Sinai, saying,
2 Speak unto the (Gemini) children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye come into the land which I give you, then shall the land keep a sabbath unto the Lord.
3 Six years (6 x 360) thou (Ophiuchus) shalt (solar seed) sow thy field, and six years (6 x 360) thou shalt (Perseus) prune thy (red radius) vineyard, and (Castor) gather in the (lunar) fruit thereof;
4 But in the seventh year (360) shall be a sabbath of rest unto the land, a sabbath for the Lord: thou shalt neither (Ophiuchus) sow thy field, nor (Perseus) prune thy (red radius) vineyard.
5 That which groweth of its own accord of thy harvest thou shalt not reap, neither (Castor) gather the (lunar and solar) grapes of thy (red radius) vine undressed: for it is a year of rest unto the land.
6 And the sabbath of the land shall be meat for you; for thee (Hercules), and for thy (Perseus) servant, and for thy (Castor) maid, and for thy (Pollux) hired servant, and for thy (Ophiuchus) stranger that sojourneth with thee.
7 And for thy (Taurus) cattle, and for the (Aries, Cetus, Big Dog, Drago) beast that are in thy land, shall all the increase thereof be meat.
8 And thou shalt number seven sabbaths of years unto thee, seven times seven years; and the space of the seven sabbaths of years shall be unto thee forty and nine years.
9 Then shalt thou cause the (red radius tube with solar bell end) trumpet of the jubilee to sound on the tenth day of the seventh month, in the day of atonement shall ye make the (red radius tube with solar bell end) trumpet sound throughout all your land.
On Yom Kippur the Jubilee Trumpet sounds.
According to William Whiston's footnotes to Josephus, "AD 27 was a Sabbatical Year and A.D. 28 was a Jubilee" (Dissertation 5:55). He bases his conclusion on chronological information, not on Luke 4:16-24. Thus we have two independent witnesses saying the same thing.
When Is A Modern Jubilee?
Adding 1960 years (7 x 7 x 40) to 27-28 A.D. gives us 1987-1988 for a modern Jubilee or year one of another cycle. This cycle is then 1993-1994 for the first Sabbatical Year (7th year); 2000-2001 for the second Sabbatical Year (7th year); 2007-2008 for the third Sabbatical Year (7th year); 2014-2015 for the fourth Sabbatical Year (7th year); 2021-2022 for the fifth Sabbatical Year (7th year); 2028-2029 for the sixth Sabbatical Year (7th year); 2035-2036 for the seventh Sabbatical Year (7th year). Then another Jubilee in 2036-2037. Each of these 7-year cycles has a third tithe year and a sixth tithe year which begins and ends on Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) (Lev. 25:9). "Then shalt thou cause the trumpet of the jubilee to sound on the tenth day of the seventh month, in the Day of Atonement" (Lev. 25:9).
10 And ye shall hallow the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof: it shall be a jubilee unto you; and ye shall return every man unto his possession, and ye shall return every man unto his family.
11 A jubilee shall that fiftieth year be unto you: ye (Ophiuchus) shall not (solar seed) sow, neither (Perseus) reap that which groweth of itself in it, nor (Castor) gather the (solar or lunar) grapes in it of thy vine undressed.
12 For it is the jubilee; it shall be holy unto you: ye shall eat the increase thereof out of the field.
13 In the year of this jubilee ye shall return every man unto his possession.
14 And if thou sell ought unto thy neighbour, or buyest ought of thy neighbour's (Castor) hand, ye shall not oppress one another:
15 According to the number of years after the jubilee thou shalt buy of thy neighbour, and according unto the number of years of the (solar and lunar) fruits he shall sell unto thee:
16 According to the multitude of years thou shalt increase the price thereof, and according to the fewness of years thou shalt diminish the price of it: for according to the number of the years of the (solar and lunar) fruits doth he sell unto thee.
17 Ye shall not therefore oppress one another; but thou shalt fear thy God: for I am the (Shekinah) Lord your God.
18 Wherefore ye shall do my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them; and ye shall dwell in the land in safety.
19 And the land shall yield her (solar and lunar) fruit, and ye shall eat your fill, and dwell therein in safety.
20 And if ye shall say, What shall we eat the seventh year? behold, we (Ophiuchus) shall not sow, nor (Castor) gather in our increase:
21 Then I will (red radius) command my blessing upon you in the sixth year, and it shall bring forth (solar and lunar) fruit for three years.
22 And ye shall sow the eighth year, and eat yet of old fruit until the ninth year; until her (solar and lunar) fruits come in ye shall eat of the old store.
23 The land shall not be sold for ever: for the land is mine, for ye are strangers and sojourners with me.
24 And in all the land of your possession ye shall grant a redemption for the land.
25 If thy brother be waxen poor, and hath sold away some of his possession, and if any of his kin come to redeem it, then shall he redeem that which his brother sold.
26 And if the man have none to redeem it, and himself be able to redeem it;
27 Then let him count the years of the sale thereof, and restore the overplus unto the man to whom he sold it; that he may return unto his possession.
28 But if he be not able to restore it to him, then that which is sold shall remain in the hand of him that hath bought it until the year of jubilee: and in the jubilee it shall go out, and he shall return unto his possession.
29 And if a man sell a (red radius) dwelling house in a (red radius) walled city, then he may redeem it within a whole year after it is sold; within a full year may he redeem it.
30 And if it be not redeemed within the space of a full year, then the (red radius) house that is in the (red radius) walled city shall be established for ever to him that bought it throughout his generations: it shall not go out in the jubilee.
31 But the (red radius) houses of the villages which have no (red radius) wall round about them shall be counted as the fields of the country: they may be redeemed, and they shall go out in the jubilee.
32 Notwithstanding the cities of the Levites, and the (red radius) houses of the cities of their possession, may the Levites redeem at any time.
33 And if a man purchase of the Levites, then the (red radius) house that was sold, and the city of his possession, shall go out in the year of jubilee: for the (red radius) houses of the cities of the Levites are their possession among the (Gemini) children of Israel.
34 But the field of the suburbs of their cities may not be sold; for it is their perpetual possession.
35 And if thy brother be waxen poor, and fallen in decay with thee; then thou shalt relieve him: yea, though he be a stranger, or a sojourner; that he may live with thee.
36 Take thou no usury of him, or increase: but fear thy God; that thy brother may live with thee.
37 Thou shalt not give him thy money upon usury, nor lend him thy victuals for increase.
38 I am the (Shekinah) Lord your God, which brought you forth out of the land of Egypt, to give you the land of Canaan, and to be your God.
39 And if thy brother(Castor) that dwelleth by thee (Pollux) be waxen poor, and be sold unto thee; thou shalt not compel him to serve as a bondservant:
40 But as an hired servant, and as a sojourner, he shall be with thee, and shall serve thee unto the year of jubilee.
41 And then shall he depart from thee, both he and his (Gemini) children with him, and shall return unto his own family, and unto the possession of his (Gemini) fathers shall he return.
42 For they are my (Gemini) servants, which I brought forth out of the land of Egypt: they shall not be sold as (Gemini) bondmen.
43 Thou shalt not rule over him with rigour; but shalt fear thy God.
44 Both thy (Ophiuchus, Hercules) bondmen, and thy (Gemini) bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.
45 Moreover of the (Gemini) children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.
46 And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your (Gemini) children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the (Gemini) children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour.
47 And if a sojourner or stranger wax rich by thee, and thy brother that dwelleth by him wax poor, and sell himself unto the stranger or sojourner by thee, or to the stock of the stranger's family:
48 After that he is sold he may be redeemed again; one of his brethren may redeem him:
49 Either his uncle, or his uncle's son, may redeem him, or any that is nigh of kin unto him of his family may redeem him; or if he be able, he may redeem himself.
50 And he shall reckon with him that bought him from the year that he was sold to him unto the year of jubilee: and the price of his sale shall be according unto the number of years, according to the time of an hired servant shall it be with him.
51 If there be yet many years behind, according unto them he shall give again the price of his redemption out of the money that he was bought for.
52 And if there remain but few years unto the year of jubilee, then he shall count with him, and according unto his years shall he give him again the price of his redemption.
53 And as a yearly hired servant shall he be with him: and the other shall not rule with rigour over him in thy (lunar eyeballs) sight.
54 And if he be not redeemed in these years, then he shall go out in the year of jubilee, both he, and his (Gemini) children with him.
55 For unto me the (Gemini) children of Israel are servants; they are my (Gemini) servants whom I brought forth out of the land of Egypt: I am the (Shekinah) Lord your God.
Why Allow the Land to Rest?
Every seventh year, the LAND SABBATH will give the land a chance to rest and restore its nutrients: " But in the seventh year there shall be a SABBATH of solemn rest for the LAND, a SABBATH to the Lord. You shall neither sow your field nor prune your vineyard" (Leviticus 25:4). As God said, "The SABBATH of the LAND shall be meat (food) for ... thy CATTLE and for the BEAST that are in thy land" (Lev. 25:6-7). We read that "six years thou shalt sow thy land, and shalt gather in the fruits thereof: But the seventh year thou shalt let it rest and lie still; that the poor of thy people may eat: and what they leave the beasts of the field shall eat. In like manner thou shalt deal with thy vineyard, and with thy oliveyard" (Ex. 23:10-11). The commencement of the SABBATH YEAR is in the fall, on Rosh HaShanah -- the beginning of the agricultural year. But what is the penalty for failure to obey this law? "I will scatter you among the heathen, and will draw out a sword after you ... Then shall the LAND enjoy her SABBATHS, as long as it lieth DESOLATE ... even then shall the LAND rest, and enjoy her SABBATHS" (Lev. 26:33-34).
God promises the obedient that He will "satisfy your soul in drought ... and you shall be like an irrigated garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not" (Isa. 58:11). God says, "You shall serve the Eternal your God and I will bless your bread and your water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of you. None shall cast her young or be barren in your land" (Lev. 23:35-36).
Again, in 2 Chronicles 6:13-14 God promised us, “When I shut up the heavens that there is no rain, or command the locust to devour the land, or send pestilence among My people, if My people [Christians today] who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face, and TURN FROM THEIR WICKED WAYS, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and HEAL THEIR LAND.” There it is! God’s people must obey God -- and that includes the keeping of the SABBATH YEAR which HEALS THE LAND. He even promises, "I will command my blessing upon you in the sixth year; and it shall bring forth produce for three years" (Lev. 25:20-22) -- harvested crops.
In the past when Israel refused to obey the SEVENTH YEAR SABBATH, notice what happened: We have a record of this in 2 Chronicles 36:20-21: “And them that had escaped from the sword carried he (Nebuchadnezzar) away to Babylon; where they were servants of him and his sons until the reign of the kingdom of Persia: to fulfill the Word of the Eternal by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the LAND had enjoyed her SABBATHS: for as long as she [the LAND] lay desolate she kept SABBATH, to fulfill threescore and ten years.” Every SABBATICAL YEAR unkept meant a year in captivity for Judah! God's corrective measures are sure -- Israel, too, will be desolate and the LAND will soon enjoy her SABBATHS because the people refuse to turn to God and keep His SABBATICAL YEARS. God warned Israel in Leviticus 26:14-25 what would happen if they disobeyed this law. Israel was to receive severe punishments in four progressively worsening stages unless the nation repented.
Some have thought this prophecy applies only to Israel’s first punishment, and isn’t for us today. They quote verse 22: “I will also send WILD BEASTS among you, which shall rob you of your children, and destroy your cattle, and make you FEW in number; and your ways (roads) shall be desolate.” Those who are scoffers will say, “That is no concern of ours: there are not enough WILD BEASTS in this nation to do any serious damage.” Don’t you believe it! We are already getting a foretaste of this condition. Peoria, Illinois was recently invaded by MUSKRATS (rabbit-sized marsh dwellers) which were driven by hunger to leave the Illinois River. They came into the city and attacked several people (from Pasadena Independent, news item). Another similar incident, of greater danger and longer duration, is happening on Vancouver Island, in British Columbia, at the southwestern corner of Canada. The island’s large COUGAR population is suffering from a shortage of deer and other natural prey. As a result of their hunger, many COUGARS, especially the half-starved females, have gone into the towns, even entering houses, to attack people, watchdogs, and housecats
(Field and Stream magazine, December, 1955, page 46, article, “Crazy Cougars” by Frank Dufresne). Also there are more than 20 million DOGS in the United States. When our national food supply diminished to famine proportions, many of these DOGS may shift for themselves and run in packs, attacking sheep, poultry and cattle. But why allow the land to rest? What is the purpose?
1. By giving the land a rest every seven years, it would help RESTORE vital nutrients to the soil that normally would be depleted. Therefore, don't refrain from planting or growing -- just from harvesting crops. Plant American Sweet Clover just before the Sabbath Year begins (Tishri 1) and then let it grow "of its own accord" without reaping it. Or plant English White Clover. Mow it regularly on the Sabbatical Year. Leave the mowings on the field. This is "green manure." As a nitrogen-fixing legume it will raise SOIL FERTILITY. Lightly cultivate it to build the soil for the following six years of nutritious food production. Recharge the soil with this physical plant food. Build up large reserves of organic residues both in and on the soil. Take full advantage of the Sabbath Year by letting the land grow the biggest QUANTITY of the best QUALITY plant matter it can produce "of its own accord." Following a grain harvest, many fields may be almost devoid of voluntary new growth. The farmer will then often need to sow specially balanced pasture mixes that will make organic matter available for years to come. (Sometimes this will be done at the sowing of the sixth year crop.) Dead plant matter is the food for the soil. Tests have shown that it takes SEVEN YEARS for complete organic decomposition in the average climate. The health of man, his animals, and his plants, depends upon a massive population of vigorous EARTHWORMS and micro-organisms. Massive top-cover will keep the soil warm all winter and promote continuous soil-building by EARTHWORMS. "Topping" should be carried out three or four times in each field during the Sabbatical Year. Otherwise extra plant growth will get wildly out of control and produce a massive seeding of less desirable plants. Use a lawn mower or weedeater. The added plant growth is a first-class source of food for EARTHWORMS and micro-organisms. Remember the increased growth ABOVE ground is accompanied by an increase in root growth BELOW ground, and together they add many tons of additional manure to the soil during the year of rest. That tonnage is over and above what GRAZING AMINALS return in WASTES from their own bodies. Farmers think they can't afford to let the land rest one year in seven. The truth is that they can't afford NOT to let it rest. The more a farmer GIVES to his soil, the more it will RETURN to him in abundant crops, health and strength. But the more he TAKES AWAY the fertility of his soil, the more DISEASE he will have and the more his land will turn to DESERT. God put man in the garden "to dress it and to KEEP it" (Gen. 2:15). "KEEP" means "PRESERVE." It is the frequent HARVESTING of crops that destroys soil most rapidly. It is therefore no coincidence and no surprise that the most poverty-stricken soils in all modern agriculture are those which are forced to grow "CONTINUOUS" grain crops. This is motivated by "greed" (Rom. 8:20). Return dead plant matter to the soil. The maintenance of livestock is perhaps the most vital key to a balanced agricultural program. Psalm 104:14 says, "He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth". Livestock form the foundation of soil fertility by providing MANURE FERTILIZATION. As God said, "The Sabbath of the land shall be meat (food) for ... thy cattle and for the beast that are in thy land" (Lev. 25:6-7). Contrast this with the thousands of farmers today who are specializing in grain and hay production. The Sabbatical Year works against the monoculture of grain since it is compulsory "free-range" grazing. It lowers the stocking rate and encourages a much greater bulk of grass in every pasture. That means healthier stock all producing more meat, milk and wool. Returning plant and animal MANURE to the soil results in improved soil texture and moisture holding ability of the soil. These qualities provide a favorable environment in which earthworms and micro-organisms multiply as they decompose the dead plant matter. "You shall serve the Eternal your God and I will bless your bread and your water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of you. None shall cast her young or be barren in your land" (Lev. 23:35-36).
2. Pest control (Leviticus 25:1-24). Farmers are plagued today with insects. Yet God gave a sure-fire remedy to control pests centuries ago. Moses commanded Israel to set aside one year in seven when no crops were raised. Insects winter in the stalks of last year’s harvest, hatch in the spring, and are perpetuated by laying eggs in the new crop. If the crop is denied one year in seven, the pests have nothing to subsist upon, and are thereby controlled. And this promoted soil conservation.
3. Soil conservation (Leviticus 23:22). Not only was the land to lay fallow every seventh year, but God also instructed farmers to leave the gleanings when reaping their fields, and not to reap the corners (sides) of their fields. This served several purposes: 1) Vital soil minerals would be maintained. 2) The hedge row would limit wind erosion. 3) The poor could eat the gleanings. Today, approximately four billion metric tons of soil are lost from U.S. crop lands each year. Much of this soil depletion could be avoided if God’s commands were followed.
4. Avoid being taken into captivity. Let Leviticus 26:34-35 tell us, "Then shall the land enjoy her sabbaths, AS LONG AS IT LIES DESOLATE, and you be in your enemies' land; then shall the land rest, AND ENJOY HER SABBATHS. As long as it lies desolate it shall rest; BECAUSE IT DID NOT REST IN YOUR SABBATHS, when you dwelt upon it." Every Sabbatical Year unkept meant a year in captivity for Judah, totalling 70 years (2 Chr. 36:20-21). After the Jews returned from captivity under Ezra and Nehemiah, they counted their Sabbath Year from the time they re-occupied the land, not from Creation.
5. Foot-and-Mouth Disease is caused primarily by lack of SOIL FERTILITY. After treating devitalized soil with major and trace elements, a dairy herd increased fertility 75% in three years. Bang's disease dropped from 29% to 20% (Soil Fertility and Animal Health by Dr. Wm. A. Albrecht, p. 167). Trace amounts of copper in the soil let an animal build its antibiotic protection that will prohibit worms from staying in its digestive tract (Albrecht, p. 150). A healthy animal repels both parasites and contageous disease. Poor soil produces poor plants. Poor plants produce poor animals. Poor animals and plants produce poor humans. Deficient soils induce sickness in all three. Unlike cows, humans don't have the built-in INSTINCT to select quality in our diet. Cows do have this natural ability. It's just that men DENY them the chance to exercise it. Cows survive, not because men take care of them, but IN SPITE OF men taking care of them. The further animals are REMOVED from their natural environment, the more husbandry problems increase. Animals that are allowed to instinctively graze and browse in native grasses, weeds and bushes will never become ill. But ranchers have replaced this wide variety with a limited diet making the animal more susceptible to disease. The same is true of humans. Some veterinarians admit that a sick animal, if not too far gone, will usually recover if set free to roam for itself among native plants. Let it forage for itself. Truly healthy animals don't suffer disease. An example in India of grazing organically managed pastures (no drugs and chemical fertilizers) proves the point. "As my small farmyard at Pusa was only separated by a low hedge from one of the large cattle sheds on the Pusa estate, in which outbreaks of foot-and-mouth disease OFTEN occurred, I have several times seen my oxen rubbing noses with foot-and-mouth cases. Nothing happened ... NO INFECTION TOOK PLACE" (An Agricultural Testament, by Sir Albert Howard, p. 162). Newman Turner says, "All orthodox treatment is based on the assumption that disease is caused by bacteria; ... In my experience these assumptions have been shown to be wildly wide of the mark. Bacteria which are found to be active in diseased animals are SECONDARY to the unhealthy condition in the animal body, and not themselves the cause. I came to the conclusion that abortion, mastitis, sterility and tuberculosis, as well as most other diseases of cattle, had their real foundation in the toxic condition of the animal body, brought about by UNNATURAL methods of management." (Fertility Farming, pp. 212-213). Dr. Hans Muller in Switzerland supervised 600 men farming organically in 1966 when Switzerland had its worst outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease ever. Not one animal was lost by these men. Certain deficiency diseases in animals and humans can be caused by the loss of certain trace elements. Instead of using manure and natural rock fertilizers containing major, minor and trace elements in proper proportions, men have tried to offset soil depletion by use of water-soluable chemical fertilizers, containing unnatural combinations of major elements which deposit in the soil poisonous residues ranging from washing soda to sulfuric acid (Make Friends With Your Land by Leonard Wickenden, pp. 63, 117). "But it shall come to pass, if you wilt not hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God.... Cursed shall be the fruit of thy body, the fruit of thy land, the increase of thy kine (cattle), and the flocks of thy sheep" (Deut. 28:15,18). "Neither can men hear the voice of the cattle" (Jer. 9:10). "I will consume man and beast" (Zeph. 1:2-3). Our land has not rested every seventh year as God commanded (Lev. 25:1-4). We have used artificial fertilizers "forcing the growth" (Isa. 17:11; Moffatt). As the quality of the food decreases, the quality of the animals decreases; resistance is lowered, and diseases increase. "If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are" (1 Cor. 3:17). Peter was able to boast that he had never eaten corrupt food (Acts 10:14).
6. The nineteenth century was an era of spectacular abundance of food due to the agricultural revolution. This revolution consisted of ideas that were related to the "Sabbatical Year" concept. Notice the following: 1. Instead of bare fallow (cultivated land) for a season between cash crops, European farmers planted cover crops such as clover (legumes) that add nitrogen to the soil as well as reducing the impact of wind and water erosion to otherwise bare soil as well as providing fodder to grazing animals that convert it to manure (more nitrogen for soil). But if too many cattle are on our land, they will nibble the grass so short that it will afford no protective covering for the soil. The land will then dry up, the grass will starve, the topsoil will be blown away. That is called overgrazing. 2. European farmers practised contour cultivation which is the farming practice of plowing and/or planting across a slope following its elevation contour lines. These contour lines create a water break which reduces the formation of rills and gullies during times of heavy water run-off; which is a major cause of soil erosion. The water break also allows more time for the water to settle into the soil. In contour plowing, the ruts made by the plow run perpendicular rather than parallel to slopes, generally resulting in furrows that curve around the land and are level. A similar practice is contour bunding where stones are placed around the contours of slopes. Soil erosion prevention practices such as this can drastically decrease negative affects associated with soil erosion such as reduced crop productivity, worsened water quality, lower effective reservoir water levels, flooding, and habitat destruction. 3. Crop rotation is the practice of growing different types of crops in the same area in sequenced seasons. It is done so that the soil of farms is not used for only one set of nutrients. It helps in reducing soil erosion and increases soil fertility and crop yield. Growing the same crop in the same place for many years in a row disproportionately depletes the soil of certain nutrients. With rotation, a crop that leaches the soil of one kind of nutrient is followed during the next growing season by a dissimilar crop that returns that nutrient to the soil or draws a different ratio of nutrients. In addition, crop rotation mitigates the buildup of pathogens and pests that often occurs when one species is continuously cropped, and can also improve soil structure and fertility by increasing biomass from varied root structures.
7. Productive land, not rested properly, does NOT YIELD ITS INCREASE. Crops become smaller and smaller. The farmer thus ACTUALLY LOSES anything he may have gained by farming his land the seventh year, besides being penalized by the labor he expended the seventh year. But what else happens? The land, becoming so poor it will not even support a cover crop, begins to lose top-soil to the wind and water. Erosion takes place. His land becomes worthless. We are witnessing this in vast areas of the United States today! And in other parts of the world. It is due to "greed" (Rom. 8:20). But this is not all! This one person’s unwillingness to obey God’s commandment STARTS AN EVIL CHAIN OF MISERY AND SORROW THAT AFFECTS MANY PEOPLE! For when the soil becomes worn out by overproduction, it is no longer able to put its nutrients for people into its vegetation. People think they are still getting the same food value for their money but are not. The farmer is ROBBING the PEOPLE! The people then develop DEFICIENCY DISEASES. And these LEAD, quite often, TO OTHER DISEASES which are COMMUNICABLE. Plague and famine go hand in hand! What also happens? The FOOD PROCESSOR, having the same human nature that God placed within the farmer, is also greedy. He finds he can separate the really less nutritious part of the cereal and sell it falsely as though it were very nutritious. People are unable to tell the difference. But their bodies can! DISEASE SPREADS more rapidly.